It is highly crucial to protect oneself from the harmful ultraviolet radiations of the sun, especially during the hot summer season, thus staying away from dehydration risks, excessive tanning, and skin cancer. Sunscreen lotions and creams play a very important role in achieving the above objective. Though, you should not pick up any sunscreen lotion that you come across in the market. There are few aspects that you need to take into consideration before buying a sunscreen for your skin. Here are few smart tips for buying the best sunscreen.
- The first thing that you have to keep in mind when buying a sunscreen is to opt for an organic sunscreen rather than a chemical-based sunscreen. If you have been using a chemical sunscreen earlier, you have not been using a safe one owing to the dangerous chemical ingredients. Since the harmful chemical ingredients are absorbed by the skin, they can upset the hormonal balance, generate gender bending impacts, and cause skin diseases like skin cancer or premature ageing. On the other hand, organic or natural sunscreens form a natural barrier over the skin.
- Secondly, you have to choose a sunscreen with the right Sun Protection Factor (SPF), which is a measure of the efficiency of the sunscreen to obstruct the damaging rays of the sun. Ideally, SPF should be more than 30 and less than 60. A sunscreen lotion or cream with SPF 30 will obstruct approximately 97-percent of the harmful rays.
- Look for sunscreens that are water resistant or water proof. Water resistant sunscreens are known to preserve their SPF for around forty minutes of water activity, while water proof sunscreens are known to maintain their SPF for close to eighty minutes. So, based on your needs, you can decide amongst the two.
- The best sunscreen should block UVB as well as UVA, meaning it should be broad spectrum. So, when searching for sunscreens, look for such lotions. To make sure that a sunscreen provides broad spectrum coverage, it should compulsorily contain one of these ingredients- Mexoryl, avoenzone, titanium dioxide or zinc oxide.
- Whenever you buy sunscreens, make it a point to read the ingredients listed on the label. Few of the organic sunscreens may also contain chemicals in them. By reading the ingredients, you can be sure that no chemicals are added to it.
- If you possess sensitive skin, choose sunscreens that contain only titanium or zinc. Many sunscreen manufacturers have made the lotions more cosmetic appealing and they tend to safeguard longer, while being less irritating also.
The above tips can help you to choose the best sunscreen for protecting your skin. Additionally, you can ask few questions for yourself like-
- When will you use the sunscreen?
- How long will it usually last?
- How often do you need to re-apply it?
These questions can also help you make the right choice. If you are out in the sun for a long time, you may need to re-apply it every hour or so.